by Emme Celera
A Schengen visa is a type of visa that allows you to enter or visit any of the Schengen states in Europe for the entire duration of your visa. The countries which are part of the Schengen Agreement are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
WHERE AND WHEN TO APPLY
Your Schengen visa application should be lodged at the Embassy of the Schengen state that is the main destination of your travel or where you’ll be staying at the longest according to your planned itinerary. It can be submitted as early as three months or at least three weeks prior to your scheduled trip. It would be best, however, to apply early as the average application processing time is 1-2 weeks and the same cannot be expedited. If your application is approved, you may be granted a maximum of 90 days starting from the date of your first entry.
While almost all of the Schengen states share similar visa application requirements, this guide specifically applies to applications made with the German Embassy.
HOW TO APPLY
Starting February 18, 2019, all visa applications under the German Embassy in Manila will be lodged with the service provider company VFS Global. All applications can be submitted by scheduling an appointment and solely by personal appearance of the applicant at the VFS Visa Application Centre for Germany, Monday to Friday, from 07:00 to 14:00.
QUICK APPLICATION GUIDE
- Fill out the visa application form (https://videx.diplo.de/videx/desktop/index.html)
- Compile the required documents and ensure everything is complete, otherwise, your application may be rejected. The checklist can be found at the German Embassy’s website at https://manila.diplo.de
- Schedule an appointment with the Service Provider VFS to submit your application (https://www.vfsglobal.com/Germany/Philippines/)
After submission, the Embassy will review and assess your application based on the documents presented. After a decision has been made, you will then receive your passport with the Schengen visa (if granted) or with a Letter of Denial (if refused) via courier or through personal pick-up at VFS Global.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How long does it take to process a Schengen Visa? Currently, the average processing time under the German Embassy is 2 weeks.
- Do I need to purchase a ticket when applying for a visa? A mere roundtrip flight reservation will suffice, you need not purchase the ticket itself. There are travel agencies who can do this for you at a minimal cost.
- Do I need a confirmed hotel booking? You will need to provide hotel vouchers or booking confirmation to support your visa application. If you are staying with a friend or a relative provide the latter’s address. Before booking, it would be best to look for accommodations that offer a full refund in case of visa denial or those that don’t require prepayment for booking confirmations.
- How much money do I need to apply for a visa? To get an estimate of how much you would need to show for your visa application – the average cost you need per day would be €45.
- What can I do in case my visa application gets denied? If your visa application gets denied, you can file an appeal based on the reason/s for denial indicated in the decision letter.
For more information, please visit the German Embassy Manila and/or the VFS Global’s website and/or contact them at:
GERMAN EMBASSY MANILA
25/F Tower 2, RCBC Plaza, 6819 Ayala Ave (cor Sen. Gil Puyat Ave), Makati City
Mailing address: German Embassy Manila, P.O. Box 2190, Makati CPO, Makati City, 1261 Metro Manila, Philippines
Telephone: +632 702-3000
Fax: +632 702-3015
Visa Section Fax: +632 702-3045
Visiting Hours: Monday to Friday from 10.00 to 11.30 hours.
Monday to Thursday: 7:30am to 3:30pm
Fridays: 7:30am to 2:30pm
M01 Mezzanine Floor, Eco plaza Bldg.,
Don Chino Roces Ave., Makati City, Metro Manila
Phone: (02) 528 2514
Hours: 07:00 – 16:00 (Monday – Friday excluding Public Holiday )