What is the MNP Law?
Republic Act No. 11202, also known as the Mobile Number Portability Act, ensures that mobile phone users can keep their numbers even when they transfer to another service provider, or when they switch their subscription from postpaid to prepaid, or vice-versa.
It will empower the user to take his number with him and change Telco if needed.
When does the MNP take effect?
The commercial launch is September 30, 2021
The Philippines is one of the few countries in the world that doesn’t have a good Mobile Number Portability (MNP) law yet… It will have its commercial launch on September 30 . This means that the mobile number assigned to you when you sign up for a new mobile service can’t be transferred to a new service provider unless your old service provider waives its right to the number. In addition, the mobile number assigned to you can’t be transferred to a new mobile service even if your old service provider doesn’t waive its right to the number. And the number can’t be transferred to a new service provider even if you change your old service provider or if you cancel your old service provider.
What is Mobile Number Portability?
What is Mobile Number Portability? Mobile Number Portability is a process that allows you to change your network provider. If you are currently using a mobile phone number that is registered with a mobile network operator for at least six months, you are allowed to port your number to another mobile network.
Number portability is a policy under which a subscriber to a mobile number can port his number to a new wireless operator upon migration from one operator to another or upon change in residence locale. This allows a user to continue using the same telephone number when changing operator or when changing location. Maximizing the signal strength of each provider at any given location.
What are the Requirements for MNP?
To port within networks, one needs to meet the following requirements:
- Your mobile number must be active.
- Your mobile number has no unpaid account charges.
- Your mobile number is not linked to an operator-locked device.
- Your mobile number is not part of any product or service bundle.
- Your mobile number must not be the primary or principal holder of multiple accounts.
- Your mobile number must not have a pending transfer of mobile number ownership request.
- Your mobile number has not applied for the MNP within the last 60 days.
- Your mobile number is not associated with any fraudulent activity.
- Your mobile number has no prohibitions set by the law, by a court order or by the National Telecommunications Commission.
How much is the cost of moving your Number to another network?
Porting is FREE. MNP helps promote consumer welfare by fostering the freedom to choose, decide and consider quality, price and other relevant factors without consumers having to change their mobile numbers whenever they change mobile service providers or subscription plans.
Is number porting available in Philippines?
Yes it will be availble on September 30.
What networks are covered with MNP?
Globe, Smart and DITO and all FREE of Charge
- Internal Porting: Retaining your current mobile number as you move from postpaid to a prepaid subscription, or vice versa, within the Same Network.
- External Porting: Retaining your current mobile number as you switch subscription to Another Network or vice versa
Benefits of NMP
Take your number and use it as your identity online, unique to you.