by Misha Fabian
Sa mga panahong ganito, importante ang magtipid. That’s why we’ve decided to create a list of easy-to-make, super sarap merienda dishes that use minimal ingredients so you can maximize the food that you have during this time of quarantine. Happy cooking!
Dalgona Coffee (4 Ingredients)
Ever since TikTokers started sharing videos of this recipe, this drink craze has become one of and we’re living for it! I know many of us are missing our coffee runs to our favorite shops so we hope this satisfies your coffee craving.
- 2 tbsp. instant coffee
- 2 tbsp. hot water
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Milk (TIP: For cold Dalgona coffee, chill the milk first!)
- In a bowl, whisk together the coffee, hot water, and sugar until they turn into a frothy mixture. (If you don’t have an electric mixer or a whisk, you can use a spoon or a fork- just be prepared for an arm workout!)
- Scoop out the mixture and place on top of the milk.
BONUS: If hindi ka fan ng coffee, pwedeng i-substitute ang instant coffee with chocolate powder instead. You’ll have a similar result, only sweeter and without the caffeine.
Milk Tea (3 Ingredients)
Another drink that’s been deeply missed this quarantine period is milk tea, pero don’t worry! You can make your own right in the comfort of your own kitchen!
- 2 black tea tea bags
- 2 tbsp. condensed milk
- Sago (White or Black- whichever you prefer)
- Steep the tea bags in hot water for 15-20 minutes. (The longer you steep the tea, the richer the flavor!)
- Prepare sago according to packet instructions. (TIP: Better to prepare this the night before. Some sago require 12 hours of soaking in water.)
- Remove the tea bags. Mix in the condensed milk with the tea. (TIP: You can control the amount of sweetness by increasing or decreasing the amount of condensed milk you put into the tea.)
- Put sago into a glass and pour the tea over it. Serve either hot or iced.
Chocolate Mug Cake (5 Ingredients)
Nagc-crave ka ba ng matamis? Follow these instructions for your very own chocolate cake. The best part? You don’t even need to bake it in an oven!
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. chocolate drink powder
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Mix together all ingredients in a mug, making sure there are no lumps.
- Put it into the microwave and let cook on high for 90 seconds. Let cool before eating.
Kamote Fries (2 Ingredients)
A popular Pinoy snack, kamote fries are sure to leave you feeling full. Follow this easy recipe to make your own fries. For sharing ‘to, ha!
- 2 whole kamote
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Peel the kamote and let sit in water for about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar with about 4 tablespoons of water in a hot pan and mix until the sugar melts. Remove from heat.
- Fry the kamote in another pan for a couple of minutes and when crispy, mix it with the melted sugar.
Ice Candy (2 Ingredients)
Dahil pa-summer na, kailangan nating makahanap ng ways para magpalamig. Dahil hindi tayo pwedeng magswimming or pumunta ng beach, kumain nalang tayo ng ice candy!
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons powdered drink (Kahit anong flavor, pwede! You can even use powdered milk.)
- Mix the 2 ingredients together.
- Put in ice cube trays or small plastic bags. (Remember to tie the end tightly para no spills!)
- Freeze for 2+ hours then serve.
French Toast (4 Ingredients)
Versatile ang dish na ito dahil pwede rin siyang pang-breakfast. If you’re feeling a little bit sosyal, this French Toast has got you covered.
- Sliced bread
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. butter
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a pan.
- Dip the milk in the egg mixture and fry until golden brown. Serve with whatever toppings you like!
Tuna Pockets (5 Ingredients)
If you want something a little bit more filling, this recipe is for you. Take note na making this recipe will leave you with a lot of leftover spread, kaya super sulit siyang gawin kasi pwedeng balik-balikan!
- 1 can tuna flakes or chunks (TIP: If you want a spicier version of this dish, use the Hot & Spicy flavor of tuna.)
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped onion (TIP: Gumamit ng white onion if ayaw mo ng matapang na lasa ng onion.)
- Sliced bread
- Mix tuna, mayonnaise, cheese, and onion in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop off bread crusts and scoop a small amount of the filling on to the center of the bread slice.
- Fold bread in half and use a fork to press the ends together.
- Toast or fry until golden brown. Serve while hot!
Mac n’ Cheese (3 Ingredients)
Speaking of versatile, itong dish na ‘to ang pinaka-versatile sa kanilang lahat! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or merienda- this dish can be enjoyed at any time, all the time!
- 1 cup elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Butter (optional, for a richer flavor only)
- Boil water and put some salt in it. When it comes to a boil, pour in macaroni pasta.
- In another pan, mix milk, cheese, and butter together. Stir until the sauce thickens. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pasta from the boiling water 2 minutes before it becomes al dente. Mix it into the cheese sauce for the remaining 2 minutes.
- Serve while hot.
Discover your new favorite merienda without even breaking a sweat. We hope you find a new merienda staple that is truly sulit. Remember to stay at home, wash your hands, and practice good personal hygiene. Ingat!