While it’s deemed best to keep cash and other valuables stored in a bank or a safety deposit or even in mutual funds and other investments, how about that emergency fund you need to keep at home in case of, funnily enough, emergencies? Aside from putting it under or inside your mattress, here are 15 more ingenuous places where you can stash your hard-earned cash:
- Sealed in a plastic bag inside a freezer.
- In an envelope taped to the bottom of your desk or kitchen shelf.
- Inside a pair of socks in your drawer.
- In a coat pocket in the closet.
- In an envelope taped to the bottom of your dog’s eating bowl or your cat’s litter box.
- In an envelope in your car’s glove compartment.
- Buried in a mason jar at your backyard or mini home garden.
- Inside one of your coffee cups in the cupboard.
- In an envelope taped to the back of your TV stand.
- Sealed in a plastic bag and placed in your toilet tank.
- Placed in a “randomly chosen” folder or envelope in your file cabinets.
- In an envelope taped to the back of your favorite hung artwork.
- In a medicine box.
- Inside your child’s piggy bank.
- In an envelope buried under a potted plant.
There are so many ways to hide and keep your emergency fund safe at home, without the need to buy those bulky safety deposit cases. How about you? Can you add anything more to this list?