In preparation for Holy Week, Christians prepare themselves spiritually by reflecting on the events of Christ’s life and death. This weeklong period of prayer and fasting culminates on Holy Wednesday, when Christians commemorate the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.
What would you say to someone who has lost hope?
The Holy Week (also known as Passion Week) is a week of fasting and penance observed by Roman Catholics before Easter. It begins with Palm Sunday, followed by Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and then Holy Saturday. On Holy Wednesday, Christians commemorate Jesus’ death and burial.
Holy Wednesday is a day of mourning and repentance. In the Catholic Church, it is celebrated on the Wednesday after Ash Wednesday. During this time, Christians remember the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ.
On Holy Wednesday, Christians reflect on the meaning of Jesus’ death and resurrection. They pray for forgiveness and ask God to forgive them for their sins.
Here are 30 Holy Wednesday quotes for reflection.
1. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
2. “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” Mark 8:36
3. “He was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterward he was hungry.” Luke 4:1-2
4. “But the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when whoever kills you will think they are offering service to God.” John 16:2
5. “We know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin—because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.” Romans 6:6-7
6. “When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” Luke 18:8
7. “Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” John 17:3
8. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10
9. “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died. Whoever eats this bread will live forever.” John 6:56-58
10. “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house there are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be too.” John 14:1-3
11. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.” 2 Corinthians 5:7-8
12. “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. The ones who believe in me, though they die, yet shall they live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.’” John 11:25-26
13. “Then Jesus said to her, ‘Mary!’ She turned around and saw Jesus standing there, just as she had previously seen him during the wedding at Cana in Galilee.” John 20:14
14. “And after six days Jesus took Peter, James and John his brother, led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light.” Matthew 17:1-2
15. “If the head of the house has been called Beelzebub, how much more the members of his household! Therefore do not fear them. Do not treat them as enemies, but as friends.” Ephesians 6:12
16. “For the kingdom of God does not consist in words, but in power.” 1 Corinthians 4:20
17. “What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! So don’t throw away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive what was promised.” Hebrews 12:18-19
18. “But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Titus 3:4-7
19. “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by whose wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:24
20. “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
21. “Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delights. I have put my spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry or lift up his voice, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. A bruised reed he will not break, and smoking flax he will not quench; till he sends forth justice to victory. In his name shall the Gentiles trust.” Isaiah 42:1-5
22. “Now therefore, O kings, act like men; rule over the earth, O priests, like those who are holy; and give thanks to the LORD Almighty, for he is good; for his loyal love endures forever. Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD? Who can show forth all his praise?” Psalm 145:17-18
In conclusion, we hope these 22 quotes will help you reflect on the meaning of Holy Week. We also hope you’ll use these quotes as inspiration when you prepare for Easter Sunday. Happy Holy Week!